So how do you know if your pool is leaking before you call a professional? On this page we have provided you with a simple, easy to print out and reference test that we like to call the Bucket Test. This simple test will tell you, within 24 hours, if you have one of those bothersome pool leaks.
A few things to keep in mind before starting the test
- The Bucket Test must be performed in a 24 hour period to be correct.
- Swimming in the pool or using the spa will void the test.
- Inspect equipment and solar for any visible signs of leaks as equipment leaks will void the test.
- Make sure that you start the test before your system comes on in the morning.
- If you have an auto fill, you will need to shut it off for the test.
Call Pool Solutions at 239-461-0272 if, for any reason, you feel that you need help with completing the Bucket Test.
So how do I get started?
First, grab a bucket! Any bucket will do, as long as it 1.) Holds water, and 2) will fit on the top step of your pool and stick above the waterline.
Make sure that you start the test before your system comes on in the morning.
- Shut off the auto-fill, if present.
- Fill your pool to its normal level.
- Mark the water level in the pool inside the skimmer or on the waterline tile. A #2 pencil will generally do. A permanent marker can be used inside the skimmer. If this is confusing or if you need help, simply give us a call at 239-461-0272 and we will be happy to help you!
- Next, set a bucket of water on the first or second step of the pool or spa, leave a few inches exposed to catch any rain water.
- When the water in the bucket is completely still, mark the water level in the bucket in the same way you did the pool.
- Now you’re ready to allow the pool pump to run through its normal cycle.
- After 24 hours, and before the system comes on in the morning, compare the water level in the pool to the level in your bucket.
If the water in the pool has lost more than the water in the bucket, then you most likely have a leak and need to contact us right away!
See, we told you it was easy!